Every year millions of people from across the world suffer from peritoneal cancer. It is a rare form of cancer that germinates in a thin layer of tissue that lines the abdomen. It may occur from cancer elsewhere in a body. It also affects the surrounding parts like a uterus or bladder. These organs are formed of epithelial cells, which aren’t visible to naked eyes and thus this structure is called the peritoneum. It is known to produce fluid that helps organs function smoothly inside the abdomen. With a rapid evolvement in technology, the treatment for such patients has improved. HIPEC is a modern age treatment given to such patients but is not free of complications. There are several HIPEC treatment centers in India with the state of art technology and better in infrastructure.
Many people confuse peritoneal cancer with the intestinal or stomach cancer which is completely different. Women who suffer from ovarian cancer are expected to be at risk for peritoneal cancer. Though, peritoneal cancer is difficult to detect in early stages due to indistinct symptoms as it progresses slowly, still a HIPEC specialist in Delhi found out some symptoms in a patient suffering from Peritoneal Cancer. They are as follows:
• Pain from indigestion, gas, swelling, bloating, or cramps in the abdomen.
• Feeling of complete satiation, even after a light meal
• Nausea or vomiting
• Frequent urination
• Uncertain weight loss or weight gain
• Unusual vaginal bleeding
• Rectal bleeding
• Difficulty in breathing
Peritoneal cancer can be cured in two ways. Surgeons performing HIPEC treatment surgery in India, examines numerous factors for the selection of the treatment. They are as follows:-
• Medical history of the patient,
• Stage and severity of cancer,
• Position of cancer,
• Age of a recipient.
Discussing the remedy, the first procedure is known as cytoreductive surgery. In this technique, a surgeon eliminates the tumors and other diseases operatively by making incisions in the abdomen. After that, next step is chemotherapy. Therefore, it is advised the surgery should be performed with expertise and in conjunction with a gynecologist as in certain extreme cases, fallopian tubes or uterus has to be, removed.
Another technique is HIPEC referred to as heated or hypothermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy. The HIPEC cancer treatment is ideal for patients whose peritoneal cancer has spread from the appendix or stomach and also in case of abdominal malignancies, simply where the disease is not spread through blood. It is the latest technique, which involves heating chemotherapy drugs and distributing them into the abdominal cavity. The selection of HIPEC should be done wisely.
The benefit of HIPEC over other chemotherapy can’t be neglected.
• Apparently, the heating of the solution further aids in improving the sopping up of chemotherapy drugs efficiently.
• Moreover, HIPEC delivers chemotherapy instantly to cancer cells in the abdominal region. As a result higher doses of chemotherapy treatment can be used.
• Furthermore, it acts as a barrier to the development of microscopic cancer cells that can remain in the abdomen even after surgery. The operation is performed by first injecting general anesthesia and the surgery lasts for about six to nine hours depending on the its complexity.
• The procedure helps in healing peritoneal lining that germinates from the colon, gastric, ovarian, appendix tumors, or other types of cancers.
• Long term survival and better life quality.
Despite its benefits, as not all people function in the same manner, hence the results of HIPEC surgery vary based on the doctor, treatment center, and technology used. Though, the general procedure is the same. Studies show that many HIPEC treatment centers perform HIPEC treatment combined with cytoreductive surgery for better outcomes. It is an effective approach for treating peritoneal cancer.