Hydatid cysts can be treated but they carry the risk of recurrence which is even possible after a long-term period of the treatment of the hydatid cysts. An expert from a renowned hospital of hydatid treatment in Greater Kailash presented a study published in PMC, US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health which reported recurrence rate of 8.7% in total of 584 patients who underwent surgery for cystic hydatidosis (1970 to 2003). As for the hydatid disease treatment which recurs, the article recommended ‘monotherapy with antihelminthic agents or percutaneous inactivation plus chemotherapy as well as treatment by laparoscopic approach and use of intraoperative ultrasonography’.
There have been many cases even in the country where the patients had to be readmitted because of the recurrence of the hydrated cysts and the increasing contamination of food and water sources will only increase the numbers, which is are scary statistics. The numbers of hydatid cyst surgery in Delhi are actually cases of additional surgery performed for treating the recurrence of hydatid cysts and likewise issues. The recurrence of hydatid cysts is not the only complication linked with the treatment of hydatid cysts. In fact, there are many risks of complications and side effects ofhydatid cyst treatment, namely, infection and rupture of the cysts which can cause serious health issues even causing life-threatening circumstances.
It is advised by all the doctors, be it for hydatid tapeworm treatmentor for those specialized in treating the presence of hydatid cysts in the liver, it is important for the patient to follow up with the postoperative treatment plan to ensure that the risk of recurrence of hydatid cysts is not experienced by the patient at all. There are actually some simple preventive measures which can keep the patient safe from these risks including those caused by the infections associated with the hydatid cysts. Below, some of them have been listed:
- Firstly, when the operation (surgical treatment) is complete, talk to your doctor regarding any questions you have or can possibly have about the rehabilitation program. Clearing out all the doubts will provide a better view of how to manage recovery after the operation.
- After the operation is complete, if you experience any kind of health issue, do not leave it unnoticed from your doctor. Your doctor should know about any complications that you are experiencing after the treatment, an early consideration will help in regulating the risks of complications and side effects.
- The follow-up after hydatid cyst liver treatment can be of long periods but do not miss any of these health appointments, close supervision of your wellbeing is significant to diagnosing the health growth and any possible threat towards it.
- Personal hygiene is important for keeping health improvement on track. Clean surroundings are essential in this case.
- The diet should be well-balanced and complete loaded with essential nutrients. The purity of the food and water should be checked because the eggs of tapeworms can spread through contamination of food and water.
- If there is vegetable or fruits from the home garden, make sure they are washed properly before consuming and keep them away from it.
- Pets should be regularly taken to a vet. They should be clear from any contact with infectious agents as well. Preventive deforming is crucial to avoid any type of infections. After the contact with your dog, make sure to wash your hands properly with water and soap.
- Contact with stray animals should be avoided by all possible means.