The proliferating rate of obesity in women had let to striking upswing in operative vulnerabilities and morbidity as observed by many weight loss doctors in Delhi.
To ascertain how successful is hysterectomy in case of obese women, it’s important to know what are the various approaches of performing Hysterectomy which is a challenging part when the patient is suffering from morbid obesity i.e BMI>= 40.
As a consequence of hysterectomy surgery, some people have addressed the problem of weight loss while few others have gained weight. Obesity specialist in Delhi has asserted that it may not be directly linked to hysterectomy but due to the presence of cancer or chemotherapy performed in the alliance. If you are not aware, precisely hysterectomy means removing the entire uterus and in some cases neighboring parts of it.
The determination of the route of hysterectomy for benign causes can be swayed by:-
• The size and shape of the vagina and uterus;
• Accessibility to the uterus;
• The extent of extrauterine disease;
• Expertise & experience of the surgeon in charge;
• Amenities, technology, and extent of support available in the hospital;
• Whether the case is emergent or scheduled;
• Preference of the respective patient.
After examining the factors lets take into consideration approaches to hysterectomy for an in-depth understanding of the most preferred option especially in case of obese women:-
• An abdominal hysterectomy involves removal of the uterus through a surgical incision in the lower abdomen.
• Vaginal hysterectomy involves surgical removal of the uterus via the vagina, one or both ovaries may be removed during the procedure.
• Laparoscopic hysterectomy involves ‘keyhole surgery’ wherein small incision is made in the belly button and a tiny camera is inserted. The uterus may be removed vaginally or, after morcellation through one of the small incisions. Extensively, there are various types of laparoscopic hysterectomy, depending on the kind of surgery performed.
• Lately, laparoscopic hysterectomy has been performed robotically. In robotic surgery, the operation is done by a robot, while the surgeon navigates the robot from the corner of the operating room. In spite of this cutting edge technology it has certain side effects too which are well informed to the patient by best gastric bariatric surgeons in India in conjunction with the gynecologist.
Many types of research have shown that vaginal hysterectomy being the least invasive is more feasible in case of morbidly obese women in contrast to abdominal route due to a shorter stay in hospital & faster return to normal activities. In cases where vaginal hysterectomy is not possible, laparoscopic approach and abdominal hysterectomy is considered with regard to their merits and demerits.
Although laparoscopic surgery declines the surgical morbidity in relation to open abdominal procedures, the risks of wound infections and conversion to laparotomy still exist.But due to inherent benefits of laparoscopic many obstetricians & gynecologists prefer Laparoscopic hysterectomy over abdominal hysterectomy.
Recently a more suitable option is being considered given the fact that fraction of hysterectomies performed through the robot-assisted laparoscopic approach is mushrooming in the recent past. Reasons why it is most preferred:-
• The surgical limitations of conventional laparoscopy may be overcome with robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery. The use of robotic-assisted surgery further facilitates total laparoscopic hysterectomy because of the robust competency provided by the robotic arms.
• Other benefits include enhanced the Visualization by the high-definition three- dimensional vision system and retracting capability of the third robotic arm.
• In certain instances, while dealing with obese patients robotic assistance helps surgeons avoid adverse outcomes.
Despite the umpteen benefits, the involvement of robotic aid for the execution of laparoscopic hysterectomy has been vaguely determined and more data are necessary for accurate analysis.
With the quantum leap in the world of technology, there are different options available for performing hysterectomy but in spite of that gynecologist, surgeons perform what is best suitable for the patient. Also, various scientific studies signify that hysterectomy is successful in obese women when the right route is selected to operate.