1. 1st June 2017 - Senior Consultant & HOD, HPB, GI Oncosurgery
and Bariatric Surgery, Sri Balaji Action Medical Institute and
2. 29th March 2017- Joined CUSP group as GI and HPB Surgeon
3. 1 st January 2013 – 28th March 2017- Consultant in GI Oncosurgery at
Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute and Research Centre, New Delhi
4. April 2012- December 2012- Assistant Professor in G. I. Surgery
Department, G. B. Pant Hospital
5. October 2011to April 2012- Senior Research Associate in GB Pant
6. 2008-2011- Senior Resident in Department of Surgical
Gastroenterology, G B Pant Hospital, New Delhi pursuing my M Ch
course. GB Pant Hospital is one of the few institutions in India with an M Ch Course in Surgical Gastroenterology. M Ch is post surgery super
speciality training for 3 years. I specialized in luminal and HPB
surgeries. The Department caters to complex Hepatobiliary and
Gastrointestinal cases and has a fully equipped Laparoscopic station
and a state of art OR. It is the only tertiary referral center of The Govt
of Delhi India which has this Super specialty of Gastrointestinal
Surgery. The department routinely does advance laparoscopic and
hepatobiliary work. It is soon to commence a Liver Transplant program.
7. 2007- 2008- Worked in a private hospital and performed various
general surgeries like cholecystectomies, hernia repair,
hysterectomies, and colectomies.
8. 2004-2007- Worked as a post graduate in a reputed government
college of New Delhi, India and received my surgical training. Assisted
and performed both routine and emergency general surgeries. I was
also involved in the undergraduate training taking bedside teaching
rounds. Also did a research work and submitted my original thesis. Also
worked for six months in pediatric surgery department and assisted in
all complex pediatric surgeries both routine and emergencies.
1. Gupta N, Javed A, Puri S, Jain S, S Singh, Agarwal AK; Hepatic Hydatid:
PAIR, Drain or Resect? Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. Accepted for
publication on 26 July 2011.
2. Gupta N, Javed A, Batra V, Agarwal AK. Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor
arising from transverse mesocolon. Saudi Journal of Gastroenterology. In
3. Gupta N, Nag HH, Agarwal AK. Neuroendocrine tumors of the
gastrointestinal tract. Association of Surgeons of India 2010.
4. Gupta N, Mishra PK. Surgery for Acute Pancreatitis. Surgery Update.
5. Gupta N, Javed A, Puri S, Gondal R, Agarwal AK. Caroli’s disease with
cholangiocarcinoma. Oman Medical Journal. In press.
6. Jain A, Nag HH, Goel N, Gupta N, Agarwal AK. Laparoscopic removal of a
needle from the pancreas. J Minim Access Surg. 2013 Apr;9(2):80-1
7. Anil K. Agarwal, Raja Kalayarasan, Amit Javed, Nikhil Gupta, and Hirdaya
H. Nag. Role of Staging Laparoscopy in Primary Gall Bladder Cancer. An
Analysis of 409 Patients. A Prospective Study to Evaluate the Role of
Staging Laparoscopy in the Management of Gallbladder Cancer. Annals of
Surgery. In Press.
8. N Goel, N Gupta, HH Nag, RK Saran, PK Mishra, AK Agarwal. Non
functional retroperitoneal paraganglioma. A histopathological surprise.
World Journal of Endocrine Surgery. May- August. 2012; 4(2): 60-62
9. Editorial in IMA Allahabad. 2013. Advances in Pancreatic cancer surgery.
10. Peritoneal Carcinomatosis in colorectal and appendiceal malignancies:
Role of CRS and HIPEC. Dr Shivendra Singh, Dr Nikhil Gupta. Newsletter.
RGCI & RC. September 2014
11.Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy. Nikhil Gupta, Shivendra Singh.
Annuals of GI Surgery. 2017.
12.Gupta N, Asif S, Gandhi J, Rajpurohit S, Singh S. Role of CRS and HIPEC
in appendiceal and colorectal malignancies: Indian experience. Indian J
Gastroenterol. 2017 Mar;36(2):126-130
13.Asif S, Gupta N, Gupta G, Mehta A, Singh S. Effective Downsizing of a
Gastroesophageal GIST Using Neoadjuvant Imatinib Mesylate: a Case
Report. J Gastrointest Cancer. 2017 Jun;48(2):198-200
14.Lymph node micrometastasis in gallbladder cancer. Swati Shah, Nikhil
Gupta, Gurudutt Gupta, Anurag Mehta, Shivendra Singh. Indian J
Gastroenterol. August, 2017.
PAPERS PRESENTED IN VARIOUS INTERNATIONAL AND NATIONAL
1. Nikhil Gupta, Shivendra Singh, S Agarwal, HH Nag, PK Mishra Sunil Puri,
AK Agarwal. Hydatid disease of Liver: PAIR, Drain or Resect? 2010
Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association, HPB, 12 (Suppl. 1), 1–468. P-007
2. Nikhil Gupta, Shivendra Singh, S Agarwal, HH Nag, PK Mishra Sunil Puri,
AK Agarwal. Hydatid disease of Liver: PAIR, Drain or Resect? Tropical
Gastroenterology 2010. 31(3) suppl 1.s38-39.
3. Nikhil Gupta, Amit Javed, HH Nag, AK Agarwal. Laparoscopic
Cystopericystectomy. International Liver Symposium 2011.
4. PK Mishra, Sundeep Saluja, Nikhil Gupta, Asit Arora, Kalayarasan.
Impact of Positron Emission Tomography in Staging and
Management of Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Oesophagus. Indian
Association of Surgical Gastroenterology 2011.
5. Nikhil Gupta, PK Bisnoi, Ajay Kumar Jain. Comparison of various
abdominal access ports during laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
Association of Surgeons of India, Varanasi, 2006.
6. Nikhil Gupta, Sundeep Saluja, HH Nag, Ranjana Gondal, AK Agarwal.
Caroli’s disease with cholangiocarcinoma. IHPBA- Indian Chapter
7. Gupta N, Javed A, Nag HH, Agarwal AK. Laparoscopic
Cystopericystectomy. P 411. Hepatogastroenterology 58 (SII) 2011.
8. Multimodality approach to carcinoma gall bladder. A single center
experience. Dharma Ram, Nikhil Gupta, Dheeraj Raj, Shivendra Singh.
9. Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy for Carcinoma Gall Bladder. Does it
increase resectability? Dr Nikhil Gupta , Dr Dheeraj Raj, Dr Shivendra
Singh. IASG 2014
10.PRIMARY HEPATIC NEUROENDOCRINE TUMOR OF LIVER. Dr
Shivendra Singh*, M.S., M.Ch; Dr Nikhil Gupta M.S., M.Ch.; Dr Asim
Rizwi M.S., Dr Ashwani M.S. IASG 2013
VARIOUS COURSES WITH “HANDS ON TRAINING” ATTENDED
1. Hands on Simulated Laparoscopic Workshop in 2006 organized by
Johnson and Johnson India.
2. Surgical Skills and techniques (Hands on training course in laparoscopy)
conducted by Maulana Azad Medical college, New Delhi India 2008
3. Hands on simulated Laparoscopic workshop on Colorectal resections in
2011 organized by Johnson and Johnson India.
4. Clinical observer for 2 weeks in Peritoneal Surface Oncology at Medstar
Washington Hospital Center under Prof Paul Sugarbaker.
5. Clinical observer at Severance Hospital Colorectal Unit for 21 days for
Advanced Laparoscopic and Robotic Colorectal cancer surgery in August
1. Dr Vidya Rattan Sehgal MD Award for excelling in the academics, sports
and extracurricular activities 2002. (Best All Rounder of MBBS batch
IMPORTANT POSTIONS HELD
1. Vice President of Azad Medicos Association, Maulana Azad Medical
College New Delhi, India (2001-2002)
2. Member of the organizing committee of IHPBA- Indian Chapter 2010.
3. Reviewer for JIMA
1. Co investigator in “Open Labeled, Randomized controlled, prospective
study of effectiveness, safety and clinical outcomes of staples
anastomosis versus handsewn anastomosis in patients undergoing
gastrointestinal end to end or side to side anastomosis”. Phase III trial,
sponsored by Ethicon Endo Surgery.
2. Performed “A Randomized controlled trial on comparison of various
abdominal access ports during laparoscopic cholecystectomy” during
3. Co investigator in Randomized controlled trial on “A Prospective
multicenter double blind Randomized Phase III clinical study to compare
the efficacy and safety of intravenous ulinastatin vs placebo along with
standard supportive care in subjects with mild or severe acute
Co investigator in 4 randomized controlled trials
1. Stapled end to side vs Transverse coloplasty pouch for patients with Low
2. Segment IV/V vs wedge resection for patients with carcinoma Gall Bladder
3. Neoadjuvant CT vs Neoadjuvant Chemoradiotherapy for patients with
carcinoma Gastroesophageal junction
4. Adjuvant CT vs CTRT in locally advanced carcinoma Gall Bladder. A
randomized controlled trial
5. Role of PET Scan in patients with resectable Carcinoma Gall Bladder